Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Cash Cow Died

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on April 12, 2002 16:06:54 UTC

In my youth, post WWII, science was so well funded by the govt and corporations that I could go to grad school full time while earning a full time salary from Raytheon. Likewise, almost any research topic would be funded by the cows. Times have changed. We as a society have forgotten that it was our science and technology, especially mass production, that one the war. We did not have the most sophisticated weapons in WWII. We just had the most weapons by far, and that overwhelmed the enemy. So right after the war we concentrated on sophistication in the competition with the USSR. But our present threat has no technical sophistication except what can be stolen from others. So the motivation for serious funding of research is being lost, except for, as you say, to make profits. But even that can backfire like the dot.com fad. The govt is pushing space defense as a means to ensure continued sophistication, as well as take control of space. The is the ultimate power- to control space. It won Desert Storm, for example. So I guess you are right- it's all power and profits.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins