Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
It's The Organization That's The Problem

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on March 11, 2002 02:26:29 UTC

I did not blame books. I did not blame religion. I blamed religious organizations. As you point out, "Humans, like higher primates, most often tend to organize in monolithic social orders based on favors, strategic alliances and tit-for-tat politics." That's what causes all the evil. The original noble purposes and values of the religion get overshadowed by the politics in a very short time once the organization forms and accrues very much power over its members.

***Organized religion is probably inevitable, being based on the tendency to form hierarchies, and in times since books were invented, some of these are according to still-unmapped forms of emotional pattern recognition.***

Probably, but I think there is hope. I think that if and when people can and will think for themselves instead of looking to some authority to tell them what to think and do and what is right and wrong, they may be able to organize and yet avoid the evil traps that I daresay all religious organizations to date have fallen into.

***There have been times when Islam's practitioners preserved some of the vital parts of western civilization -- such as math. As you probably know !***

Yes, the Arabs deserve credit for that. I'm not sure how much, if any, credit is due to Islam.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins