Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
A Small Thought/logic Exercise.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Michael Wright on February 5, 2002 22:33:38 UTC

Hello.

Do you think that it is possible to prove that the sun will rise tomorrow? If so, prove it!

The reason I ask this is because about a week or two ago I started reading David Hume (as some of you already know) and he says that saying that the sun will rise tomorrow is a 'matter of fact.' That is, we say it will because of experience - it has risen every day before this and we assume it will rise tomorrow.

I believe that we CAN prove that the sun will rise tomorrow, by using the same system to prove geometric proofs - like the Pythagoream Theorem.

Geometric proofs rely on definitions (like the definition of a point, or of a line) and postulates (axioms) assumed to be true. They are used in this manner: If these postulates are true, then this MUST be true.

I will attempt to prove that the sun WILL rise tomorrow IF some postulates (which I will have to come up with) are true.

Would any of you care to try your hand at it, too? I am looking for a formal logical deductive argument.

It's just a little thought for fun, and I thought I might as well get your ideas as well, since I think that many of you could use a break from your normal debates :-p

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins