Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Do Want But Can't....

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Yasir on January 22, 2002 16:16:30 UTC

As I wanted to mention in my previous post, to me, theism or athiesm are meaningless because of the subjectivity inherent in our philosophical and especially theological view of existence.
To be honest, the concept of a benign supernatural being is truly satisfying and inspiring. But 'feeling' good something about doesn't mean that we should stand up and distort our view by posing with extreme boldness the existence of God.
As far as I am concerned, I am more happy being a silent observer and explorer with very personal 'beliefs'. Theism or atheism is not my destination (especially atheism). It doesn't seem to me that I am ever going to have absolute answers of the big questions we ask about God (and 'why God?' still remains a queston). I would not say that Yanniru hallucinates. I would not say that Alexander shows blind prejudice either.
I just think that no human can grasp the priniciples of existence outside the sphere of science which is, of course, the most objective method we have. Philosophy and theology are highly subjective. Ask yourself. If you would have born in a world where there was no concept of God, you wouldn't have smiled in response to 'why God?'
I would try to see both the sides of the picture but I surely think that an objective conclusion can't be achieved. Science asks precise questions and prepares models. Philosophy, to some extent, gives meaning to the whole process. But, theology seems to go too far in persuit of ultimate answers. But who knows? May be the ultimate answers do lie that far.
I think I have made my point clear. I'll be waiting for comments.

Yasir.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins