Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Take It Easy Alan

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on December 19, 2001 14:27:59 UTC

Hi Alan

I'm writing this out of compassion. You seem like an enlightened person so perhaps you'll understand this:

I used to go nuts about "the mysteries of the universe", just like almost everyone here. Then one day my wife told me something that made me realize I was being a fool. I mentioned to her that I thought the universe was so deeply mysterious, so utterly incomprehensible, that it actually bothered me. And then she replied, "look all around you - the sun is shining, the birds are singing, the children are having fun in the park, and I'm here with you. Exactly what is it you don't understand?"

When we fail to understand, it's because there's nothing to be understood. Philosophical questions only exist inside your mind, the world is as simple as it gets. As Alex would say, it's just a bunch of facts, nothing more, nothing less.

But of course one can always have fun playing mind games. Some people do that for a living, you know?

All the best,

Aurino

(PS: by the way, I said I could never catch Dick making logical mistakes but, alas, I found a big one yesterday while taking a close look at his paper. I have to completely reevaluate many of his claims)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins