Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What Makes Our Understanding Any Different Than A Computer's?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phillip Martin on December 13, 2001 22:20:29 UTC

Our "understanding" of the universe is only different from a computer's in that we have more computing power. Therefore we can obtain a more complex "program". The line between doing something and understanding something is not a line at all, it is a gradual fading of mental(computing) power. One in which only the beginning can be seen at our current knowledge level. We think that we understand what we understand. We, by definition, cannot comprehend the amazing computing(understanding) power of our future "computers". They will take understanding to a level which we have never possessed before. To the computers of the future we do not "understand" anything, but mearly do as we are told; and therefore we are very predictable to them, as our computers are to us today. One possibility about the end of the human race is that our future computers will take over. I think that that is very possible. The above is my opinion, and was, for the most part, thought up as I typed it.

Thanks for your time,

Phillip

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins