Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Great Post Paul...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on November 20, 2001 05:21:13 UTC

You made the exact point that I would loved to have made to Alex, had I been able to come up with such a great argument as you just did.

I love the car analogy. You certainly have a knack for presenting well thought ideas in a very clearly worded and understandable fashion.

I too believe (somewhat) that the universe could very well be 99.999999...% automated by the laws of physics, and that there could be however, some undetectable mechanism that provides God with a logical way to "handle the brakes and steering".

Perhaps this mechanism is in fact manifest in consciousness as you said...

If we truly have "free-will", then consider that perhaps, in a way, the "choices" we make are not always "scientifically predictable". In other words... where one can easily mathematically produce the trajectory of a cannon ball (via laws of motion/gravity), one cannot so easily (if at all even) produce the path that a human will walk in an open field over the course of five minutes (or even lesser) time...

Once again...
If consciousness is in a way "beyond science"... then so too would be the immediate/far-removed consequences that "consciousness" could create. Therefore there are indeed physical objects that cannot be rigorously explained nor understood within the framework of physics. Such is the mechanism for "the hand of God".

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins