Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: QUESTION

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by bzrd on October 10, 1999 13:44:12 UTC

: Is there anybody who can give me an argument for the existence of a deity, which I can not disprove easily?

Bzrd here: Good question. In a word, the answer would be no. However, I would say, your question aptly defines the basis for the argument. In the Bible, God is described as the supreme being, He was here before the universe; hence, He is transcendant and, by definition, outside our sphere of reality, if you will. Given this, it is not suprising that His presence cannot be detected by our meager senses. This leaves inference, as the only available tool left for us to predict the presence of a Creator. In science, inference is used as the basis for aknowledging the presence of natural selection; no one has ever "seen" natural selection, yet, it has been a universely accepted term for describing the effect of environmental pressures on a species over time. Thus, evidence for God, can be given only through inference; for example, science is profoundly inadaquet in its ability to elucidate a viable mechanism for the origin of life from inert matter, one can easily argue it is not even possible. God either exists or He does't. The fact that He exists outside our "realm" (for lack of a better term) and thus, prevents us from intelligently discussing the probabilities involved, so, we are forced to assume a probability of 50/50. God wins....

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins