Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Alex I Have To Agree With Harv On This One...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on October 18, 2001 20:19:27 UTC

Death as the absence of life is one definition, but are you difining "life" to be "functioning bilogical processes"?

If yes, then what has bilogical functions and life got to do with the completely distinct concept of "awareness"? Afterall, plants are functioning biological entities, yet they display no exhibitions of "self awareness". Perhaps consciousness and bio-chemical reactions are two distinct concepts and should be treated as such. Not only that, but can you prove that a dead person is "unconscious"? If so, I challenge you to prove it. Keep in mind that although their sensory organs have perished, their "imagination" (or what ever you want to call our inner consciousness) can continue to opperate so long as neurons keep firing (what has been recorded when somebody "passes" in the hospital). When our neurons stop... who can prove what comes next?

If "life" is the chemical reactions that maintain our bodies, then why should it be that the "absence of life" implies "no conscious awareness". Our physical processes may grind to a hault, but our sense of "I exist" doesn't necessarily have too follow.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins