Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Think You Should Know My Answer

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on October 3, 2001 04:37:00 UTC

Alex,

I agree that the 'stuff' of the universe is mathematical. The existence of any particular physical entity I believe can be reduced to a mathematical description. For example, Newton's F=ma is mathematically describable. However, can't this description also be shown to be a special case of GR as well as Feynman's path integral method? And, isn't it expected by many cosmologists that GR will probably be shown to be a special case of some quantum theory of gravity (perhaps even incorporating the path integral)? Hence, it seems that there is often more than one layer of mathematical necessity. We often find that U is true and is a special case of V, and we find V is true and a special case of W, etc. As you said, either this goes on ad infinitum or there exists some necessary logical truth G which everthing is derived and everything is a special case of G. G becomes the ultimate truth so to speak.

~~~~~~~~

Since all of this 'stuff' has intrinsic mathematical/logical properties, can we reduce this 'stuff' to purely mathematical/logical relations and eliminate the 'stuff' picture of the world altogether and merely focus on the viewpoint called 'structuralism'? This is the view that all there is in the world are logical/mathematical structures and that *everything* (false vacuum, space, etc) ultimately reduces to these structures?

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins