Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What Evolution Can Teach Us

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Harvey on September 12, 2001 19:42:40 UTC

After the K-T asteroid hit, the large animals and sea creatures mostly went extinct. It was the small and burrowing creatures that helped keep all of life regressing into to the size of cellular organisms. If there is one lesson that we should learn from this great tragedy is that we humans build 'targets' unnecessarily. Those 'targets' don't necessarily need to be hit by a terrorist, we could just as well be mourning the outcome of an earthquake in any region of the country (yes, the midwest and eastern seaboard is also vunerable), we could also experience huge loss of life in Hawaii and the Northeast with the eruption of a volcano (possibly the most dangerous terrestrial threat), and let's don't forget what mainly is responsible for the dinosaurs demise.

Human civilization should be moving toward the policy 'smaller is better'. Instead of a high rise, offices strewn out over the country is better. Instead of living in massive cities, small towns should be our main development. If humanity wants to avoid the worst possible disasters (weather disasters, earthly disasters, nuclear disasters, etc), then the best way is to avoid major concentrations of people and buildings.

I'm not talking about people choosing these destinations (for most of us it is not possible to make these decisions ourselves due to work related issues), however business and government must begin a long effort to move away from big cities. My opinion is an overreaction - I agree - but it is something that I have long believed (ever since the book 'Small is Beautiful' was published). If we can barely afford the damage that of a few buildings, how much more could we afford the damage to an entire 50 mile radius in a heavily populated region? These prospects are just too overwhelming, we need to do a better job in distributing the people and concentrate less on city building.

Evolution has shown us what happens when networks become too concentrated, why do we need to repeat it?

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins