Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
No Problem. It's A Tough World Jisbond. What Do We Do?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert Garfinkle on September 9, 2001 18:47:50 UTC

Jisbond,

I do understand what your intentions are. I see why you wish to convey those messages to those governments who you feel should be concerned about these matters.

It's a tough world out there. The individuality of any given person dictates that we will not see things on the same level, but I do see two basic things, that we as humans, want to do/be (for the most part).

1. We want a sense of belonging. (A sense of being)
a. We will congregate on our beliefs or commonalities. ie. Birds of a feather.

2. We want to do what is right. Some people will simply do what they feel is best or the right thing to do without attempting to encourage others, and others will attempt to share their "sense of what is right" with people.

Because of our individuality, all things are relative, and there will always be different strains of "what is right". There are people who act and think in a subtle way, and others who are very radical. When it comes to religion and moralistic stances, it is very difficult to convey to others where one person stands and believes in.

We see the most peaceful acts on earth being performed on a daily basis, and we also are witnesses to the most treacherous/heinous acts.

But that becomes confusing, because any of those acts, good or bad, are still viewed from one's perspective. I don't see killing another person, no matter what the reason, as good/right by any standards/means. But the person killing, in their mind might see it as totally justified/warranted.

We all want peace and good things, no matter what the cost. Sometimes the method(s) & mean(s) used to achieve that goal/our goals are contradictory to the end result. It's both funny and sad at the same time. That might simply be called "Irony".

In alot of respects, our (yours and mine) religions share the same direction/beliefs. One GOD, NO EXCEPTIONS! The laws, rules, and commandments that govern/suggest how we should carry on our lives and convey the words/beliefs and cannot be broken. At all.

There are other religions that have different directions/beliefs that guide themselves accordingly. They see their version of what is right, and set allowances/tolerances on their believers.

When it comes to Religion & Science of man, I see them being at opposite ends of the spectrum. I said, simply, in an earlier forum that a believer, in one's religion, does not need "scientific" proof of ones GOD(S), she/he simply has to believe (no matter what they believe in - regardless whether we [you or I] think that religion is right or wrong). That person will enforce/carry on a way of life that will continue to nurture/support those beliefs.

Whereas a person who takes the scientific venue (and does not suggest that they don't believe in GOD) in life, has to prove it (whatever "it" is), simply, because that is the nature/path of science. This does not exclude GOD(S)/Higher powers. proof vs belief.

They go against each others grain. Naturally.

If I get this right (Correct me if I'm wrong), you have conveyed that the "Science of GOD" cannot compare to the "Science of man". This has to be true. As believers we cannot understand the Science of GOD, and blindly, have to accept / convey it to ourselves and others. GOD is all powerful, if one believes in GOD.

I have suggested, in my first thread ever posted on this site, that we/us (man and all that resides in our universe) started from absolutely nothing, this did not exclude GOD. I know you remember it. When I first thought of it, many years ago, I attempted, in my mind, to try and figure out how we got here. I'm sure most people have questioned this. Is this a right thing to do, or should those kind of questions be left alone, and the acceptance of GOD, and GOD's almighty wisdom(s)/powers not be questioned. It's hard to say. I will tell you that I never questioned GOD's wisdom or powers during this episode of thought. Now, I did suggest that GOD had to learn. I said this because the bible has conveyed that "We" man has been made in GOD's image. What does that tell me. Please help me understand that if I did not perceive it right from the bibles explanation. Now, one of the aspects of learning is making mistakes, and I do not believe for one moment that GOD makes mistakes, EVER. I just think we, as humans, loosely use the word mistake. The suggestion of mistake infers, in my mind, that we have done something wrong/incorrect. I think GOD does what GOD does, there is no mistake about it. AT ALL.

To me this implies, again in my mind, that GOD, is not one who makes mistakes, but has to learn, is not perfect. From our perspective/viewpoint, we see GOD as perfect. GOD, from my perspective is the closest thing to perfection that we know of, and this also applies to knowledge. GOD is all knowing, and will always be all knowing. GOD knows all the reasons. But I still say, that this is from our perspective.

Example (Attempted).

On a learned path, we gain knowledge. A person who has studied hard, for many years, knows quite a bit, not only from the path of knowledge but from the depths of experience. It one's experience that allows for one to understand better. GOD, in my mind, has the greatest knowledge and the greatest understanding of all. This allows for GOD to teach lessons and have the ability to forgive because GOD understands why, we as humans, do what we do. and always will.

I will re-iterate that my thoughts that were just presented do not question GOD with respect to being the "Only ONE", nor does it dissuade the words/lessons that GOD conveys to us for lifes betterment.

Thank you for your kind words Jisbond. I hope that regardless of the other religious differences/viewpoints that we hold, and other ways of life, you and I can show others that people from different backgrounds can find commonality dispite our differences, and have the abilty to carry on civil conversation with respect and good intent. This also includes the abilty to learn from one another in attempts to better understand where each other come from.

This is surely needed for better people and societies that share the same planet.

"Blessed are the peacemakers"

Peace and happiness your way, for the rest of your life.

Robert

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins