Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Okay Guys,The Final Train Crash. Re: Minimum Distance

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Michael Moosman o on September 9, 1998 19:46:55 UTC

: PLEASE! posted by Tomislav Strelar on September 08, 1998 at 01:59:42:: : : If this question can be answered then maybe I can get on with my life. Actually I: don't even know how to phrase the question exactly but here goes. Lets say two: trains were on a path to a head on collision. What would be the minimum distance: between the two trains before they collided or came in contact with each other?: Obviously there must be a point at which if either of the two trains moved any further: towards each other they would collide and come in contact with each other. BUT! at: that point where if they moved any closer they would collide, there must be some: empty space between the two trains because they have not collided yet. Therefore if: there IS empty space between the two trains, no matter how small, you can move in: closer at least half of that remaining distance... making that minimum distance moot.: right? RIGHT? Okay lets look at this in mathematically. Lets say for example you : had: some type of device that could electronically measure the distance between the two: trains. I am going to : : : use the number zero (0) as the point of contact. As each train moved close: towards each other, your measuring device would count down.. 9 - 8- 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3: - 2 - 1 Now using the number one (1) at the minimum distance before contact, and: zero (0) as contact, how could this minimum distance exist because 0.5 would be: even closer that the original minimum distance of one (1). and 0.4, 0.3, 0.2, 0.1, : 0.01: so forth and so on...how could you possible reach zero (0)???????!!!!! Someone: please answer this so I can stop wasting so much time pondering on this. Thanks,: Randy : PLEASE! posted by Tomislav Strelar on September 08, 1998 at 01:59:42:: : OK. This is my thought (somebody please correct me if I am wrong). If we zoom a: spacetime we would see that it's not smooth but "filled" with very small cracks that: distort it (a wormholes you may say). So that would mean that the spacetime is in: some way quantized (like digital picture with pixels as smallest elements). This: roughness of spacetime could explain that "Minimum Distance" you mentioned.: : I don't have any better explanation, so could someone provide something better :o): Posted by Michael Moosman on September 09, 1998 at 19:46:55

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins