Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Okay Guys,The Final Train Crash. Re: Minimum Distance

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Eric/">Eric on September 11, 1998 01:54:20 UTC

This is a very interesting question you propose, but it is not an original one. This question has been around for centuries and has in more recent times been applied to particle physics since it makes more sense to talk about this in terms of fundamental particles vice huge quantities of matter. It is not clear whether you are interested in a philosophical discussion on this topic or an actual quantified measurement. If it is an exact value you want, you can forget it because there is not one. Werner Heisenberg provided an excellent yet somewhat debated solution on why you can't answer this question (and similar ones) precisely in 1927. His notion is now known as the "Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle" which basically states: it is fundamentally impossible to make simultaneous measurements of particle's position and speed with infinite accuracy. I personally can not do justice to this principle, so I won't even try to explain it, however I suggest you might find this an excellent reference to study in order to put your mind at ease (or not). Hope this helps.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins