Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Meade DS-60

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Eddie Casey on December 4, 2000 15:26:32 UTC

Not wanting to put a downer on this subject,I think a 60mm telescope is just too small to be of any real use astronomically.You have to remember that a telescope of this size has the light gathering capacity of an average pair of binoculars.Indeed most reasonable aperture telescopes probably have a finder scope of this size.If your interest in astronomy continues you will find that you very quickly realise the limitations of this telescope.I wound'nt expect a magnification much above a x100 for an aperture of this size.A rule of thumb I find is x2 per millimeter of aperture maximum with x1 usually more common.No matter what advice you are given the larger the aperture of a telescope the more light it can gather and hence the more an observer can 'see'.Magnification is irrelevant,any size telescope can be made to magnify anything simply by employing shorter focal length eyepieces.If you adopt the simple rule above however it will give you a rough idea of practical magnification.Any telescope is better than nothing so try to get the most from this scope I only hope I have provided some points to ponder. Clear skies to you.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins