Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Meade DS Scopes

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by edk on July 10, 2000 15:25:10 UTC

just a few comments

people seem to trash the meade DS scopes alot well hey i own one and they arent that bad like everyone makes them out to be i mean what do you expect for how much they cost? it cant be top of the line scopes or the price of them would be much higher there isn`t that much plastic like people seem to say the focuser yeah it is plastic sad to say but oh well it doesn`t hurt the scope any and they even made it so you could use 2inch eyepieces a pluss i think the downside is it can`t be replaced.... the scope works fine for me i have bumped it many times and not even a scratch on the scope people say goto is cheating but for one the scope doesn`t come with goto thats more of an upgrade and sometimes goto isn`t a bad thing as in some cases it would be much harder to do star hopping so it may help some people also the mount is easier to use then those GEM mounts so people starting out would find it easier to use then GEM mounts even if someone got one of those scopes that come on a GEM mount if they want goto for it that can cost them anywhere from 500-1000 dollars more then some people are willing to pay and dobs they aren`t for everyone if someone is starting out that isn`t the only choice their is i get people alot telling me i could have got a dob for the same price (well kind of) but i like my ds scope and i can take it around with me easier and i can pack it up easier when i`m on the go it can fit in the back of the car easy to... something else that bothers me to is people always say stay away from those 60mm 70mm scopes if you want to see if you would like the hobby why should people pay 300+ for a scope cause what if they end up not liking it then huh? and besides someone could pop the little scope in the back of their car head out away from the city plop the scope on the ground and take in the view

i`m sick of people making me feel like i have to spend at lest 1000 dollars if i want a good scope and i need this 1000+ dollar scope befor i can even look at the freakin moon a 4 inch scope is just as good at a dark site as a 8 inch scope is in the city

i would agree that with any scope it would be good to get a nice eyepiece for people starting out theres plossl eyepieces that people can get for around 30 bucks and for people that have the money to waste theres alot open to them and i would also say get a decent fingerscope for your telescope

a little plastic doesn`t hurt i mean people aren`t gonna be going out there and smashing their scopes into the ground as hard as they can... face it people as time goes on more and more scopes will have more plastic to them if it really bothers people so much they can also go out and have metal parts made to replace the plastic parts

i would stay away from the meade dobs and recommend this to other people as i haven`t heard much good things about them well thats all i have to say for now - edk

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins