Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Meade DS Scopes

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Jim Nadeau on July 11, 2000 03:06:36 UTC

I have a friend who works in a Telescope shop. He is a Meade dealer. Last Christmas he ordered about 40 of the DS series scopes. I helped put several of them together. He had to send Half of them back to Meade for refunds. They were either broken to begin with or broke during assembly. One of the 70mm refractors had a HUGE hair embedded BETWEEN the lenses of the doublet objective. I think he`s probably had half of the others that he sold returned. He now refuses to sell them.

These scopes are not very good if you compare them to the more inexpensive scopes that they replaced.
The Meade model #`s 285, 390, 395 and 4500 are now discontinued and have been replaced as Meade`s entry level scopes by the DS series.

People who used to call the Meade Model # 390, 395 & 4500 junk, now realise they weren`t that bad in comparison to the DS series.

I used one of the 4.5" DS scopes one night. If Meade would spend another $50 in production upgrades it would be a really cool scope. The altitude axis had about 1/2" to 2" of play when locked down. This was on all of the 4.5" scopes we put together.

But if you like your scope thats all that matters.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins