Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Questions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Andy/">Andy on April 28, 1998 21:52:04 UTC

: : : : : : : : The real fourth dimension is TIME. There are a number of other theoretical dimensions in quantum mechanicvs, but I sopmehow don't think that these are the ones to which you refer (nor am I at all certain that they have numbers assigned...).

: : : : : : : Time is nothing more than a tool used in measuring the rate at which the universe moves....ie moles,lbs, and g. Nothing more than a measuring cup, not a demension.

: : : : : : Chris, you should check on that. Remember, dimensions do not necessarily have to be spatial, they can also be temporal. Time is definitely a dimension -- which one it is may be up for debate, but it is a dimension nonetheless.

: : : : : I have a few questions for anyone who cares to answer:

: : : : : 1. Why do you think that time is anything more than a concept?

: : : : : 2. What exactly is the definition of a dimension (a good explanation)?

: : : : : 3. Why do people think that there are "dimensions" anyway?

: : : : i love your questions and i want to know too : : : : so that way we can be on the same foot for a definition!!

: : : Thanks, I think that a lot of the misunderstandings and disagreements that occur, happen because there are so many different definitions for things which can really lead to confusion.

: : I believe one can consider the notion of dimension in the mathematical sense:

: : An independent variable that cannot be broken down into smaller, independent variables.

: Well OK..This model that I will share is proprietary to me, so please ask me : before disseminating it in your name (or else). The fourth dimension is time. It is only through time : that any of the other three dimensions actually exist. Think of the fourth dimension as : a glue for the other three, yet it is quite more complex than just being "glue". : if you would like to discuss more, please e-mail me. The model is this:

: One dimensionality exists because of linear motion, which depends on time. : Without time, there is no motion. Rotating this first dimension makes for the : second dimension. This rotation does not exist without time. Now, rotating the plane : of the second dimension makes for the sphere of the third dimension. This rotation also takes : time, of course. As you can see, time is common to all three dimensions; necessary : in fact.

It is true that time is common to all three dimensions but it is only a tool used by humans and invented by humans. Motion is a real part of nature that we could not invent. We say that motion depends on time but humans depend on time to explain motion, in other words time is another concept invented by humans to explain what we could not invent. As for time being the fourth dimension, remember that we are discussing "spatial" dimensions. A point is independent of time, a line is independent of time, any figure in the real world is independent of time. Dimensions are tools also but they are an entirely different concept than time.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins