Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Questions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul Pergiel/">Paul Pergiel on June 5, 1998 12:52:04 UTC

I would like someone to compute this simple formula and express their opinion to its validity: At the moment of the first cause (popularly known as the big bang- a hateful misnomer) space itself expanded at the rate of 6 million miles per second according to one theoretical estimation (traveling faster than light because it being the inertial frame against which light travels). The age of the universe according to another theoretical estimation (by gauging the age of stars) is approximatly 13 billion years. Now with space itself traveling at 6 million miles a second for 13 billion years that would put the size of the universe on a much vaster scale than currently assumed. Now one could argue that spatial expansion is slowing due to the "frictional" effects of mass and gravity. But it is also safe to assume that the universe is much larger than the visible universe. Just because light can only have traveled 13 billion years in the time since the beginning of the "first cause" does not mean there is nothing beyond the range of visibility. In fact, by my, admittedly amateur, calculations the size of the physical universe is at least twice or three times the size of the current visible universe.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins