Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Peter......

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on September 4, 2001 04:21:54 UTC

You always speak of how everybody needs to open up their minds and embrace free thinking.....to let go of "force-fed text book knowledge" as it serves only to limit our philosophical potential.

But it is obvious to me, and a hand full of other speakers in this forum.......that you have no formal mathemaical training or physics background. You have a great mind; for only a sparse, select, crowd even dare ponder the implications of quantum physics and other such mind stretching endeavors. But if I may make a comment on your "free thinking" methods:
......your lack of formal education in these subjects serves only to limit your full philosophical thinking potential.

~~~~~~Please do not take the above paragraph offensively......I only mean it in a constuctive ctritism manner. I very seriously do not mean to insult you. I only wish to draw your attention to this matter because it troubles me that you'll explain the "pit falls" of current scientific thinking and interpretations, when you yourslef can not come to grips with such easily understood and explainable phenomena as pulsar beacons and 3-Dimensional gravity wells.

A quick tutorial on General Relativity would inform you that the analogy for a bowling ball on a 2D rubber sheet is just that....an "analogy".....not to be taken litteraly. The curvature of spacetime is a mathematical model that calls upon the alterred geometry of a curved manifold where Euclid's postulates do not hold. The trajectories of matter in Newtonian physics follow striaght paths with fixed velocity unless acted upon by a force. If acted upon by a force, Newton exclaimed, matter would accelerate or change course with an intensity inversly proportional to its mass. This is what's called inertia. Einstein came along equipped with this knowledge and a few of his own intuitive notions.....namely the equivilance principle and a few postulates from special relativity (the important one being the local invariance of the velocity of light). With these concepts at hand, and powerful deductive reasoning, Einstein concluded that contrary to Newton's model of curved trajectories in flat Euclidian space......matter followed straight trajectories through curved non-Euclidian spacetime......(path of least resistance, or "geodesic"). All of this was an interpretation that Einstein himself derived, as a consequence of having invented a Gravitational Field Theory, that fulfilled the requirement that the vector calculus necessary to describe the field was to be invarient to any arbitrary metric used to define the relative coordinate system within which the model was constructed.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins