Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Have To Agree With Alexander

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Milind Mantri on March 21, 2001 22:02:46 UTC

Hi all,

I am new to this discussion forum, but as I was reading through the discussion on the "Center of the Universe", I felt I should say something here.

I have to agree with alexander, who is saying that there is no center, for the following reasons:

1) The fact that we observe all the galaxies moving away from us does not mean that we have to be at the center of the universe. There is no reason for us to assume that we have a special place and that is at the center; what it means is that you will observe everything receding from you no matter where you look from.

2) Finding a center of the universe would mean throwing relativity out of the window. Relativity (both special and general) postulates that there is no absolute frame of reference. But if we do find the center of the universe, there we have it - the absolute fixed frame of reference and everything would have to be relative to that.

3) If we consider Big Bang as the logical explanation of the expansion of the universe, it would be very difficult to explain why we (or for that matter anything) are at the center of it. Also there is nothing special or different in our galaxy as compared to others to base our assumption.

I hope I am stating my thoughts clearly.

Cheers,
milman

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins