Back to Home

Blackholes Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Blackholes I | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Donut Shaped Black Holes?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by mike.wilson@nationsbank.co.uk on May 5, 2000 11:25:22 UTC

As a non-scientist, i find black holes fascinating. Can anybody help me here?

I was reading about how a spinning black hole will have a ring shaped singularity at its centre. People have thoerized that if you pass through the centre of the ring you would appear "somewhere" else as the gravity forces at the centre will still be huge but not infinite. As it stands this is nonsense as you would still have to climb out the other side and have to go through the event horizon to get out, impossible without some kind of warp or hyperdrive. However, I am I right in saying that the faster a hole spins, the bigger the diameter of the singlurity and hence the gravity forces at the centre get less? In a fast spinning hole, would it look like an oblate sphere? If so, if the hole was spinning mega,mega fast would it be possible that the forces at the center of the ring drop so much that the escape velocity is less than the speed of light and so the black looks like a black donut? What would happen if you travelled through the ring now?

Mike Wilson

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins