Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Do I Have A Dirty Polished Mirror?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Scott Pelger on August 4, 2006 19:30:27 UTC

hi all,

i have been working on an 8" mirror off and on for some time. lately i have been wanting to get it done so i have been on again.

two weeks ago i tested it with a laser and the sun and see lots of scattering on the surface. since then i have polished for about an hour, 5 nights a week for two weeks. after week one i tested and saw no appreciable difference. the last week was spent with TOT (till then, 90% polishing was done with MOT). i tested again last night, and again, no appreciable difference. frustrated, i decided to take a look with a 10x lupe and the laser. what i saw suprised me. i can't tell if i see any pits for sure but what i do see is what appears to be striations, like tree rings. now, i only spot checked the surface and they are not in a circular pattern, they could have the "grain" of my last stroke but i can't be certain. i suspect it is my cleaning method becasue the light bands scatter the laser light while the dark do not. i suspect that the dark bands are bands of polished glass while the scattering bands are covered with dirt/CeO? i am cleaning the surface with soapy tap water and drying with a paper towel.

there are about 20 hours of polishing completed becasue of this. aside from a tiny hole/hill in the center it looks great under the focult tester.

is it possible that i have polished out completely but am not cleaning the surface properly? what is the best way to clean before testing?

thanks.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins