Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Polished Mirror

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on August 6, 2006 23:34:27 UTC

The info on how to test a polished mirror is often distorted because of the assumptions of the writer.
If you're unsure of what is right on testing a surface for polish, take a window glass and do the same test on it. The glass should be well polished so the end result should be the same.
I personally don't like the laser test because the light will be reflected by the surface (4% of the light gets reflected) and thus you need to differentiate between the reflection (with it's sparkle due to the laser itself) of the surface and that of a differaction due to a small spot of unpolished out pits.
The only sure method that I've found is to do the Foucault test on the mirror and see if, when the zones are pretty much grayed out, there is any stray light being bounced back by pits. Bright spots when the mirror is almost black in an area indicates that the glass isn't fully polished out yet.
I haven't observed the grinding of the surface so I don't know if you went from the 80 grit to finer grits too fast but this is a possibility if you do indeed have pits left over and these pits will basically take forever to polish out. I always do what I call "chasing pits" as the coarse grits are used. What this is is that you mark where some deep pits are and then grind until those pits go away. then find some new pits and do it again. Then you can go to the next smaller grit and do that all over again with the finer grit.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins