Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Do I Have A Dirty Polished Mirror?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rick Crockett on October 21, 2006 06:05:56 UTC

Hi Scott:

I my old computer fried and I changed ISPs about the same time. When I reconfirmed, that night none of my posts appeared so I plade with the "Hide" Whoops because I couldn't unhide anyone. So I don't know if you got an answer.

You didn't say what your blank is. A poor anneal on a poured blank can cause variations in surface hardness but your complaint sounds like many I have heard in regards to the BVC blanks. If you were running too dry or going too fast with your strokes you could get something akin to this. Especially if you started sticking and adding polishing compound. Polishing is a very wet process and I like to add liquid dish soap to my mix to help maintain an even wetting.

I just use more liquid dish soap and plain water with a clean hand to gently wipe the mirror clean. I use distilled for final rinses where I want no spots or filmy layers.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins