Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Making A Lens.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on October 24, 2002 19:18:31 UTC

Making your own lens is a nice rewarding thing to do. Unfortunately, there is a bit more work making a lens cell and in the 8" size, having the cell adjustable with a set of 3 push-pull screw sets is advisable. Having access to a lathe will help a lot here.
Newport Glass Works (they're online and have glass for refractors availabe) is a good place to get kits for refractors as well as just the glass.
The surfaces are going to be a lot easier than a reflector to do as you just need to do a spherical surface and TDE is no problem as that will be generally buried in the mounting system of the lenses.
As to the worth of the thing, that is up to you to figure out whether you want a refractor of about F15 or so to lug around.
When I did my 200" refractor, I made the tube so that I could break it down into 6' long pieces as this was as long as I could fit into my car.
I do have an article on making a refractor on my website http://bobmay.astronomy.net for more information on making them.
I also have the glass for both a 6" and a 12" refractor so I'm going to be doing several more in the near future.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins