Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Beauty Of Refractors

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Daniel Johnson on October 29, 2002 00:38:51 UTC

I spoke of the practicality of Dobs earlier, and if I were to make another scope that would still be my chosen type. That said, I must admit that there is something beautiful about a refractor. The first time I ever saw Jupiter's moons as disks instad of points, it was with a refractor make by Alvin Clark (?Clarke?) in the 1800s. That view of Jupiter was over 20 years ago, and it remains a treasured memory. And the first telescopes accurate enough to measure the distances to stars with the parallax method were refractors made by Joseph Fraunhofer. Although my Schmidt-Cassegrain had no historical connection to him, I've nonetheless named it Fraunhofer out of awe for his genius.

--Dan Johnson, proud owner of a 10-inch SCT, 12.5 inch Dob, a couple of small Maks, AND a Megrez 80 refractor. (My old, small Newts have found their way to others.)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins