Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Grinding Glass Circles.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Greg Tedford on August 12, 2002 09:02:31 UTC

I am thinking of grinding my own circles from 7" square by 19mm pieces of glass to end up with 6" circles.

I have some 2" pieces cut off the end of some pipe of 6" and 8" inside diameter and am thinking of gearing my wood lathe right down to about 60 rpm and mounting the 2" pieces on some nuts to screw on the headstock of my lathe.

These "cutters" will run in a bath of 80 grit and water and the glass squares will be pushed onto the cutter in a holder from the tailstock.

In this way i can just wind the tailstock in and slowly apply pressure to the glass/cutter joint.

The rediculous thing is i can order a piece of 7" square by 19mm plate glass for $25 but the company won't even consider cutting a circle because they say the job would be too labour intensive.

Does anyone see a major flaw in my plan? The ideal position for a cutter would be from the top on to the piece of glass in a bath of grit and water but i already have the lathe with gearing and a motor, so why not use that?

Anyway i will try it out on some thinner glass and see how it goes. I'll let you all know more as the news breaks (bad choice of words).

P.S. If anybody wants to share news/ideas feel free to email me on gregted@tpg.com.au

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins