Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Casting Blanks

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Stephen Campbell on January 27, 2001 09:18:11 UTC

I am currently in the design stage of a casting kiln, i have found some useful information on the web relating to this subject. it will be constructed as follows: casting chamber 25" x 25" x 6" deep, 3000F rated firebrick enclosure,kanthal heating elements(all elements on top above mold),digital pyrometer,programmable microprocessor controlled temp control(important for annealing)firebrick will be covered on the outside with aluminosilicate fiber,and the whole firebrick enclosure will be inside a sheet metal box.
Pyrex has the viscosity of cold honey at 2,192F,after several hours at this temperature it will conform to the shape of the mold,im trying to figure out if this kiln design can produce a maximum 2350F with the elements running on 120v ac at around 25-30 amps, the depth of the chamber is only 6", and if properly insulated it might just work. i know that the depth of the firing chambers on all glass fusing/casting/annealing kilns are around 6"-9".
i plan on using either pyrex 7740 rod, or sheet cut into strips and loaded into aluminosilicate mold,in fact i might even start off with soda-lime glass which has a working point of 1832F just to practice with.
One thing ive been having trouble finding info about is the construction of the aluminosilicate fiber mold, i found suppliers of this material,but can't find any mold making info.
I realize annealing is the hard part of casting blanks,the annealing "range" is around 1049F, and the temp is reduced by 0.5 degree per minute over a period of several hours,other problems are devitrification,bubbles, and straia which i have yet to research.
I have decided to put-off building a vacuum coating system for awhile,seems a little too difficult and parts are hard to find, for now im going to put all my effort into building a casting kiln.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins