Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: Re: Our Grinding Machine

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tom Leech on November 7, 2000 01:16:46 UTC

hi mike, i have an 18 inch grinding /polishing spindle which i also found at the dump (left by a local optical company). good for things up to about 24 inches with a larger platten. it came with a 1/2 hp motor with a built in gear reduction to about 100 rpm. on the output shaft of the motor. this then drives the spindle at a speed dependent on the size of the pulleys between the motor and the vertical spindle with platten. (the platten is a 1 inch thick piece of cast iron, and the spindle shaft size is about 1.5 inches. obviously for small stuff, use fast speeds, and for large, use slow. my thought is if you could sneak into a potting class with your blank and tool, and a little grinding compound, and hook up your motor, you could pretend to make pots. good luck, tom leech

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins