Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Seems A Bit Costly For 1

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tom Leech on November 7, 2000 06:52:15 UTC

i agree with about everything rick says on this, and probably would have used a truck axle myself if i hadn't found the complete machine. the advantage of the truck half shaft(axle) is that it already has a bearing,(will easily take any thrusr you can pile on it) is about the right length if a second bearing is down near the floor, and it already has a hub about 6 inches in diameter with studs , ready to bolt a heavy disk onto for the platten. some older axle shafts do not have a flanged hub on the outer (wheel end), so do not choose that type. full size ford or chevy 1/2 ton would do just fine. try to get the complete bearimg with the half shaft. this all would be much easier if you know somebody with a reasonably heavy machine lathe to cut down the splined end of the shaft to some convenient diameter for a large diameter pulley that you might find, and for the lower bearing. the shaft will be made out of 4140 steel or something close to that and will be machinable with a reasonably heavy lathe with carbide or stellite bits. some welding equipment might be handy along the way somewhere. no way to guess what equipment you have. tom leech

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins