Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Kiln Forming Lenses

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by nospamkmidgley@telus.net on May 26, 2000 19:44:54 UTC

I don`t know anything about lenses as such but I do know glass forming. Is the choice to use pyrex material the coefficient of expansion or just the clarity issue? Can I use other glasses?
One of the problems with frit casting as someone suggested is the potential of getting tiny air bubbles that make the lense less than clear.
Pyrex is forgiving of annealing errors however some mention was made of working it at 2400 F. when many kiln materials max out at 2300F I am in the process of trying to figure out a market niche for the ten slumping/fusing kilns I have been constructing for a new business venture (the ex having taken over the previous one!) I don`t know what the market is for what size lenses or what prices should be for lense blanks. If I was able to figure out what people might be willing to pay and what exactly it was that they wanted then I could figure out if it is worth my while trying to make some when I get my studio operating. Is bigger always better? My kilns will handle 30" pieces comfortably. Thanks for any feedback.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins