Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Re: AC Motor Speed Control

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Cly on March 7, 2000 01:36:06 UTC

It`s my understanding, Rick, that varying frequency is the preferred method of precision motor speed control, and the `Motor Pros` say it will work for ANY A.C. motor, from 24vac or less to 460vac or above, whether shaded pole, split phase, permanent split capacitor, or 3 phase. If split phase, the centrifugal switch may need to be replaced with a solid state relay ($12) to open the start winding circuit, and there is a lower limit. You can only go so slow, but enough to give some adjustment range. In PSC motors, the cap just charges slower, and there may be a slight `derating` of the motor H.P. It`s by all means preferable to use a motor built for variable frequency drive, but this is a valid option for atm`rs, and I, for one, want to know all my options.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins