Back to Home

Astronomy Discussion Forums

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Clear Skies At Last

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Thom Bolin on May 16, 2002 18:59:50 UTC

Well I made it out on both Monday and Tuesday evenings. First time the clouds rolled back and let the planetary alignment be views from area. It was amazing I could easily see four planet and the moon all at the same time. Rushed home and took my 10 and 3 yr old out to see. Had to drive a little ways but it was amazing how clear they were and easily seen. Saturn, Jupiter, Mercury and Venus along with just a slight sliver of the moon being illuminated.

It was a stellar sight because the sun was still lighting sky just a bit and you could see the entire moon, with only a bit lit up. It was around 9:00pm CST in Northern Texas.

Ventured out with the scope, a Tasco, on Tuesday with wife, 3 yr old, 10 yr old and sister in law out to the backyard. The moon and venus were side by side it was an amazing sight. Everyone took turns looking at the twosome through the scope, both easily fit in the 25mm. I put the 9mm in to look more closely at the moon and it was amazing the detail of the craters.

I tried to take a few pics with my old Pentax but the bright sliver of the moon was over exposed even at a count of 3. I might try again and just use one or two seconds.

My question is this... I have a Tasco 60x700, could I use it with some sort of mount to take pictures of the moon with?

Thanks
and Happy Star Hopping.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins