Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Which Accessories For LX200

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Matt Visco on April 17, 2003 21:59:30 UTC

I have recently purchased on 8" LX200GPS and am looking for some advice on the following accessories:

1) Nebular filter
Should I get the broadband or narrowband?
[I'm in a suburban area with a good
amount of light pollution.]
Should I get the type that threads into the
rear cell of the scope or the eyepiece
version?

Should I get the #1A Filter and Dust Seal
(it appears that other real cell filters
will screw into the 1A)

2) Camera adapter
There are several listed, thoughts on the
best to get.
- T-Adapter
- Variable-Projection camera adapter
- Variable tele-extender
- Camera adapter

If I'm reading the descriptions correctly, the T-Adapter is prime focus, the two variables are both eyepiece-projection but differ in the way that they attach to the scope; and the camera adapter, while "fixed" allows for both prime focus and eypiece projection.
* If I get one, which one? If I get two . .
* What's the benefit of the variables, other
than changing magnification?

3) For long-term photography, which is the better item to get: an Off-Axis Guider or a Flip Mirror system (don't have a CCD and probably won't for several years).

If I get one of the above units, should I still get a "standard" adapter for short exposures?

4) Are there any pros/cons on getting a wired or wireless illuminated reticle and is the MA12mm good enough or should I get the Series 4000?

5) Barlow -- is the #140 worth the price? Other brands; any short comings with the "short focus"?

Thanks for the advice.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins