Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
"C" Cells

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Glenn Mitchell on October 14, 2002 16:45:21 UTC

Running the LX200GPS scopes off of "C" cells is impractical.

Nicads are nototious for running down quickly. NiMH batteries have voltages that are low when fully charged. Again, they run down quickly, also. Alkalines will cost a fortune.

At best, you can get a couple hours off of "C" cells. Most "C" cells provide a little better than 2000 mA/hr, and the LX200GPS consumes around 1 A/hr sans slewing. Slewing will exhaust the batteries quickly.

I used to use a 5 A/hr gel cell. That's double the capacity of "C" cells, and it would last just a few hours. I use it for my Kendrick Dew System.

Try using one of the jump start batteries. They're a gel cell, and most have 12-15 A/hr capacity. They will run you all night and then some. If you run a CCD, you'll need a second for the camera. They're voltage sensitive. My STV consumes about 2 A/hr. More than the scope.

Mitch

Glenn E. Mitchell II, Ph.D. (aka Mitch)
10" f/10 Meade LX-200 GPS (Big Blue) s/n 01088
Supercharged at ASO by Dr. Clay Sherrod, # 2314-2010
N 30° 30' 49.2" / W 084° 20' 13.8"

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins