Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
LX90 UHTC Vs LX200

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Gregory Budd on September 22, 2002 21:38:45 UTC

I am ready to purchase my first telescope and after much research have narrowed my choice to a Meade LX series 8inch. Now the delima is whether to purchase the LX90 UHTC or the LX200 GPS w/o UHTC or the LX-200 GPS with UHTC. There is a large enough price difference between the LX-90 UHTC and the LX-200 GPS with UHTC to cause me to pause before making a final decision (about $550).

Will I benefit significantly with the UHTC over the standard coating. Will the UHTC coating be more noticable with naked eye viewing or is it more of an asset with photography? If it is not very significant then I might actually opt for the LX-200 GPS w/o UHTC as it is closer to my actual price range of about $2,000.

I live in a fairly light polluted city in the desert SW but can travel a reasonable distance to dark skies. My criteria is to have an instrument that performs well all around (thus my choice of a SCT) and possibly play around with some digital photography as I have an Olympus E-10 camera. I just don't want to go overboard in price without gaining in performance. Any recommendations or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins