Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
DS-2114ATS - Collimation Help

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Joseph Aguilar on September 5, 2002 18:35:32 UTC

This may be long, so please bear with me.

I recently purchased a DS-2114ATS and I am having trouble collimating it. I believe the optics may have been knocked out of whack during shipping because the "circles" inside of the drawtube were not concentric like the manual indicated.

I've followed the procedure outlined in the manual and I have yet to achieve concentric "circles". The steps I have taken goes as follows: adjust vanes so that the secondary mirror is centered within the drawtube, adjust secondary mirror holder so that the reflection of the primary mirror is centered in the secondary mirror, then adjust the primary mirror to center the reflection of my eye in the drawtube.

The problem seems to lie in adjusting the primary mirror. When I do so, the other circles begin to lose their concentricity. It is really annoying.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

On a side note: in the process of doing this, I noticed two images in the reflections. They are white discs with a dark circle in the center and three dark lines running from the dark circle outward. Obviously, these discs are reflections of the secondary mirror and vanes juxtaposed against the incoming light. Anyway. I found that if I aligned these images on top of each other, I am able to focus in on things even though the "circles" are not concentric. Although this works, I believe it to be a temporary workaround since I must be losing some light due to the optics not being aligned correctly.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins