Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Hey Robert

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on October 26, 2001 14:06:28 UTC

I never saw a 16" LX200. I have seen a few 16" Dob's. A friend of mine has a 20" Obession. That's a spectacular scope. M33 looked like it was floating in the eyepiece.
My 12" Lx200 is not the GPS. I got it in May 2000. I had some trouble with the focus knob. They send me a new one which was better but I still get backlase and that annoying travel when you let go of the knob. I bought a JMI manual rack and pinion focuser which works great, focuses just like a refractor now. The new GPS comes with a 4 speed microfocuser and mirror lock. This should solve the problem I had with the focuser. A very nice improvment. Many people complained about the same problem I had. You can find it in this forum.
I never actually measured the size of Jupiter compaired to the field size. That of course depends on the eyepiece/magnification and the apparent field size on the eyepiece. For example, I have the Meade 14MM Ultra Wide 84 degree field eyepiece. Jupiter is huge at 218x and quite sharp. With a 12.4 Meade super plossl at 245x, 52 degree field, Jupiter takes up a larger portion of the field, but the field itself is smaller by more than one third, so the planet looked smaller. This is one of the differences between a $300 eyepiece and an $80 eyepiece. Now don't get wrong, It looked fine in the 12.4, but it's outstanding in the Ultra Wide. If your not familiar with apparent field, it's how big the circle is your looking at in the eyepiece. Kind of like the difference between looking at 12" TV and a 35" TV. A close-up on the 12" might still look smaller than normal view in the 35". Get it!
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins