Back to Home

Meade Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Meade Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: Re: Re: I Want To Buy A Nice Meade Telescope, Is It Any Good

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Peter Hermans on February 27, 2001 19:18:57 UTC

Again, thanks for the fast reply

First another few questions:
-What exactly does the focal ratio do to the quality of the images, why is f/8 better then f/6?
-What do you mean by 1/12 wave optics, what is "wave", I know it has something to do with the mirror's surface accuracy, but I can't find anything about what "wave" the two telescopes below are. Please explain this to me
-Do I need special tools for collimating, is it very difficult?

I have found two telescopes that I'm interested in:

-Orion SkyQuest XT8 Dobsonian f/6(with 9mm and 25mm)
-Orion 2x barlow lens Ultrascopic
-Orion Sirius Plössl 6.3mm
-Orion Sirius Plössl 32mm-50degrees (or 40mm-43degrees)
-This, for about $670,00

or:

-Orion SkyView Deluxe 6 EQ Newtonian f/4.9(with 9mm and 25mm)
-the same accesories as with the Dob
-This, also for about $670,00

Which low-power eyepiece should I choose, the 32mm or the 40mm? The 32mm has a 7degrees wider FOV.

Do I need an extra Wide-angle (very expensive for me) eyepiece, to see the pleiades in one view, for instance?

Which one, do you think I should choose, should I go for the EQ-mount of the skyview, or for the 78% extra light gathering and the longer focal ratio (and perhaps better optics) of the Dob?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins