Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: A Few Thoughts

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Sean/">Sean on September 15, 1999 14:07:22 UTC

The key word here is, I think, opinion. There simply is no REASON to believe in a god. To me, it all seems like so much superstition. I understand that it provides a certain amount of comfort in an apparently callous word. However, from a strictly historical viewpoint, creation myths are to be found everywhere - with quite a bit of overlap between. That is to say, much of Christianity has been adapted from other religions. This, in and of itself, makes religion suspect (in my opinion). They are old belief systems, to be sure. And so is astrology.

Please do not take offense at this but, I must restate - I cannot see a reason to believe in a god. Just as there no reason to believe in a tooth fairy, Santa Claus, and other myths. They are fun, entertaining, and oftimes comforting - but not real. That's my opinion, which seems to be backed up by an overwhelming dearth of evidence for said myths.

: In my opinion, there is a some higher power beyond : nature and human reason. This higher power can not be : undersood or labeled by any one religion. To date, the : only real testament we have to its existance is the : beauty and magnificance that we witness everyday in : some form or another. Is it foolish to be religous? : Not in my eyes.

I don't think I would use the word foolish, but I might say unscientific. Indeed it is a personal issue. If you find comfort in the beliefs, then good for you. I find comfort in science, reason, and logic - not appeals to the supernatural. As much as I can appreciate the "beauty" of nature, I would not necessarily call all natural laws or phenomena beautiful. The earthquake in Turkey was not beautiful. Quantum mechanics, for example, is highly explanatory but not necessarily beautiful. On the other hand, the logic and reason of evolution by means of natural selection is highly attractive. Beauty is entirely subjective, of course.

Believe what you feel you must, but know that actual evidence for a god doesn't exist. Just my admittedly skewed (scientifically) opinion.

Sean

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins