Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Why A Myth?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on August 16, 2001 15:04:49 UTC

Aurino,

Perhaps I'm missing your whole argument, but my understanding of a random process is one that no algorithm exists that can predict the outcome of a process except by executing the process itself. For those kind of processes mathematicians have probability theory to best describe the most likely outcome of certain processes. A fully 'random' process is one whose outcome (not function) is completely indeterministic.

Randomness is certainly tied to our knowledge, but many in philosophy and science believe that nature has inherent randomness (i.e., indeterministic) at the quantum level (e.g., Born's postulate). In these instances, it is conjectured that there is some indeterministic value and that there is no algorithm to determine the value.

Your use of a mathematical function to determine a random number is doomed only because if there is such a function capable of computing a random number then by definition the number is not random since there is a function that can compute it! But, I imagine that I have misunderstood your argument somewhere along the way.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins