Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Pragmatic Knowledge

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on July 24, 2001 21:13:35 UTC

Aurino,

>>>But this is not a matter of biology, it's a purely logical issue. Can we deal with logic on its own terms, or do we always have to relate logic to something else? Sure, biology has played an important role in solving the problem but the problem itself is completely abstract, and if we are not able to conceive of an abstract solution we can't possibly accept any "concrete" solution and still claim we are being rational. Is that hard to understand?>"We have good reason to accept that digital calculators are built on solid principles. Whenever we check one calculator's output against any other, they almost always match" Can you see a problem with that? (hint: it's not on the "almost always", although that has something to do with it)>What I'm curious about are the foundations of our knowledge.>>>

Just to be sure, you aren't talking about the foundation of our knowledge in terms of knowledge as the world really is (i.e., ontology), correct? You are referring to the foundation of knowledge that we happen to treat as knowledge (i.e., epistemology), correct? Usually the later is referred to as a justification of knowledge rather than a foundation (I'll explain later).

>>>All of a computer's knowledge can be reduced to two states and two two boolean operations. What about our knowledge, what is it founded upon?>If you can't answer that then I'll take it that you think the problem is indeed intractable, which leaves the question of how is it that evolution solved it?>>How do you build knowledge out of nothing?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins