Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Am Not Sure What You Mean.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on July 18, 2001 14:02:08 UTC

Richard,

I am not sure you meant what you said. You posted it as a response to my comment to Harv. It is possible that you miss read my response, thinking I referred to my creditability with those who understand math.

What I said was "Maybe he is doing it without thinking about it, but the only result is to damage my creditability with those who cannot follow the math and I am afraid I do not appreciate that very much."

Clearly if a person cannot follow the math, he must accept the opinions of others who do. When someone implies he has examined the math when he has not this is a great disservice to communication.

On the other hand, you may be asking the specific question: Why Are You Not Credible With Those Who Know Math?

That is because no one who knows math has ever taken the trouble to follow my math. They all think they know what I am doing and look to the conclusions first. As they do not find the conclusions creditable they have no interest in examining the math.

Believe it or not, I fully understand and sympathize with their position. The world is full of nuts and taking the time to examine the math of those who claim outlandish results is far too time consuming to be worth the effort. It is much easier to make a subtle error than it is to find that error.

However eventually, someday, someone who understands logic and thinks for themselves will actually take the trouble to look at it and they will realize that I have seen something very significant.

With regard to your attitude. You spend all your time trying to convince yourself that I have done nothing here while at the same time you totally avoid looking at the mathematics. Do you think that attitude is really uncommon in the academy? It is very rare for anyone to question authority, particularly if their livelihood is tied to the status of that authority.

Have fun -- Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins