Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Let's Start At Square One.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on July 17, 2001 00:56:32 UTC

You seem like a fairly rational person, so I hope you can apply that to your own beliefs' foundations. I usually just start out arguments like this countering what you say, but let's establish a framework for the debate first.

I take it you were raised Christian. By extension, one could make the argument that your religion would be whatever you were raised to believe. Almost all people accept this subjective nature of spiritual belief. So, if you acknowledge that your beliefs are subjective, why claim Christianity is right as opposed to Shintoism or Buddhism? If you were raised a Shinto you would be here arguing from a Shintoist position. So, looking at the source of your belief from this perspective, why Christianity?

As far as the source of your faith goes, let's look at it a little closer. It's not a watertight argument to say that God would not let his work get distorted. This assumes from the outset that the Bible is God's inspired word. That argument is similar to saying "God exists, therefor he exists." It's cyclic and goes nowhere. I could just as easily say "God does not exist, therefor God does not exist." WHY do you believe the Bible is the word of God? Doesn't the Koran have just as much claim to validity, just as much objective proof? Actually, one could argue Islam to be MORE reliable, since it was founded after Christianity and had less distortion due to time.

If you can give me reasons for your belief, then we can make some progress here.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins