Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Using Wrong Premises To Falsify Assumptions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on July 12, 2001 14:05:38 UTC

Mario,

In short the problem is that your God looks a lot like the traditional Christian God. If Christianity is right then your premises are wrong, if Christianity is wrong then your portrayal of God is wrong.

It's actually quite interesting to me that so many people deny the existence of a God based solely on the Christian conception of God. I think it's OK to dispute the Christian God, but I can't see any logic in disputing a universal idea based on a particular interpretation of that idea, especially if one takes for granted that that particular interpretation is wrong. It's exactly the same thing as trying to use logic to prove that a=b is false because person X defines a=1 and b=2. You can't prove a=b wrong based exclusively on X's definitions, all you can do is prove that if a=b is true then X is wrong and vice-versa. Nothing else.

Does that make sense?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins