Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
To Yanniru About Infinite

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Mike Banks on July 5, 2001 06:42:00 UTC

In a previous thread, you said:
"With infinity it is immpossible to start at the beginning. There is no beginning. You are making an assumption that there is a beginning and then invoking infinity. You cannot do that. The two are
mutually exclusive. There is no way to start at the beginning of infinity."

This is the point I was trying to make, maybe I should have been clearer. Obviously, if time is infinite in duration, you cannot have a beginning. I was just trying to show that there must have been a creation and time is not infinite.

If time is infinite, then not starting at the beginning would be impossible. Imagine a chain of infinite length(representing time). The links represent events in time. If you just start somewhere along the chain, then the present can come into existance. But you have to have a beginning in time because this infinite chain will always have links before the place you started. Time had to have begun at some time.

As I've said before, if time is infinite, then every moment that passes right now, an infinite(never ending, or never will be reached) amount of time has passed before it, basically saying this even in time will never be reached.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins