Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Another Viewpoint

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on June 15, 2001 14:18:49 UTC

S.H.,

I don't think your position or the position that God declares some moral acts 'good' are necessarily contradictory. The way in which morality has evolved is in my view directly connected to our biological origins. For example, if species cooperation wasn't effective at promoting evolution, then it is unlikely we would see much need of cooperation in our morality. But, be that as it may, we happen to live in a world where cooperation aids to survival and thus humans also cooperate with each other and have even included such cooperative acts as part of moral action (e.g., "help those in need").

On the other hand, it is unimaginable to live in a world where there is no God since such a world is an impossibility (my opinion). The reason is that God is the basis for existence and without that basis you have nothing that can exist (even mathematical symmetries). So, whatever morals that exist owe their existence to God.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins