Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Redeemed From The Law

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Brian E. Sloan on May 30, 2001 11:42:35 UTC

Question: Did Christ himself say that he would do away with the Law? [Yanus]

Absolutely not. What he did say was that He came to "fulfill" the law [Mat. 5]. Paul did expound on it later in the doctorinal sense though, which of course later became one of the main tenents of Christianity. So the question becomes, what did Christ mean when he said he came to "fulfill the law".

To understand this, it is important to keep in mind that no one in history, has been able to "keep" the law—Jews included. The veracity in this statement is exemplified by the fact that once a year the high-priest would have to sprinkle himself with blood and enter into the "holy of holies" to atone for the sins of Israel. It is not humanly possible to keep the law. That is why Christ came.

Also, it should be pointed-out, that Christ himself expounded on the Law when he said that a man commits adultry when he looks at a woman lustfully [if I might paraphrase]. The idea being, that sin occurs in the heart. I can’t over-emphisize the point that the purpose of the Law is to illustrate the distance between ourselves and God.

Admittedly, this is a tricky doctrinal precept, even for many believers. But if you submit yourself to the premise that Christians should be under the Law [as my brother Yanniru holds] then the question becomes—why did Christ come and die on the Cross?

Brian

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins