Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Why Did Things Get Worse After The Coming Of Christ?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on May 11, 2001 23:15:30 UTC

Robert,

You're giving the standard response I've heard from Mormons (those I'm most familiar with) as to why there is sin. The question is why is there MORE sin now, 2000 years after the crucifixion of Jewish man named Jesus who lived in Palestine (but not Nazareth, since it probably didn't exist yet)---a man who you consider to be the Son of the creator of the universe?

I think it is because people today have more freedom than they did in the past, so they're taking advantage of it. When children realize that they can do what they want and their parents can't execute them (like Old Testament parents could) or whip them (like parents only a few decades ago could) or perhaps even spank them, kids sometimes take advantage of it.

It wasn't that long ago when atheists were executed for heresy. Do you long to return to those more sinless days---those days when religion dominated politics?

You may blame this freedom that more and more of the world is experiencing as due to the Christian background of the US founding fathers, but I think it is because of their enlightened attitude about religion in general. I think scientific progress, not religious morality was the key.

If things got worse after Christ came, what does that say about God's power? If I were God, I would have arranged things so that sin would decrease in the centuries and millenia after the arrival of my Son. If I would be a better God than God, what good is He?

John

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins